My Problem with I Miss You

Thursday, October 01, 2015



I really hate when people just anyhow say "I miss you". Nothing is more dangerous than these 3 little words, because really, what matters is the unspoken words that should have come after it. I miss you but it's better this way. I miss you, or maybe I mean the old you coz I don't really know you anymore. I miss you and I just wanted you to know in case you were hesitant to do something about missing me too. I miss you and we really should keep in touch. I miss you and I hope life is treating you kind because the person I knew then deserves nothing but the best this life has to offer. I miss you but there's nothing else I can do without hurting myself in the process of coming towards you.

I miss you.

I miss you. Nothing. 

There's nothing after. And that's what irks me the most. I miss you. SO FREAKIN' WHAT!?

Do you think I don't notice the void you left? Don't you think I notice the glaring emptiness at the space in my life that you used to occupy? That only you can occupy?

Unless something is done about it, "I miss you" is this meaningless pass for politeness. Much like "God bless you" when someone sneezes. It's automatic, it sounds good, but was there really any thought before voicing it out?

Can we do-away with plain "I miss you" and be more pro-active? And, no, adding a ":("after doesn't cut it. Because without action, it does nothing. It means nothing. Well, nothing other than I don't miss you enough. And isn't that more insulting than just keeping your mouth shut?

Maybe what we mean to say is "I remembered". I was driving and this song played on the radio, and I remembered the time we sang along to it. A cold breezed passed me while I was walking along Central Park and it reminded me of how good it felt to have my arm tucked under yours as autumn leaves fell around us.

Or maybe the pang of missing something is misdirected and it's not "you" that the "I" misses. It's the moment. Who we were, where we were, when we were. If that's the case, mindlessly uttering "I miss you" is all the more devastating. In articulating that seemingly harmless phrase, a sense of value is placed on a person's entirety. I miss you. But that's not what was meant. I don't miss the complexities of you. I don't miss the whole you. I just miss a part of you. Or even worse, I just miss the idea of you.

Since when did we start throwing words loosely? And more importantly, since when did "I miss you" become an acceptable form of ice breaker?! "I miss you" isn't supposed to be a hit and run. It's not something we say for the sake of breaking the silence.

It's a declaration, yes. But if it won't be prompting any further action, let's save ourselves the trouble of reaching out. It's okay. I'd rather not know.

I swear, it's okay. I'm okay.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe